Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Boston!

For the second time in a year, I  was back satiating my passion for BOSTON!  My goodness, by far my favourite US city!


I spent six days wandering the city as well as taking advantage of the amazing and quick commuter rail to head out to Concord to visit Orchard House (Louisa May Alcott's often homebase and the inspiration for Little Women)  and to visit Walden Pond, Thoreau's homestead and Ralph Waldo Emerson's house.

I love Boston.



Some of the reasons I love it:

Boston proper is a relatively small city (especially compared to Toronto) so it is so easy to walk around in.


The Common: Reading in the Common with an iced coffee while watching those Swan boats?  Love


The cobblestoned Freedom Trail.


Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall


The accents! To Canadian Rachel, most Americans have accents: but the Boston dialect is so distinctive and regionally specific----


THE NORTH END! Oh my goodness, I love the North End: site of Paul Revere's house and the Old North Church but also Boston's Little Italy---home to amazon cannoli and all manner of delicious Italian food at restaurants people line up for hours to get in.


Back Bay and Beacon Hill: the rows of red-bricked ornate architecture, the public alleys and Boulevards


THE PEOPLE: the people in Boston are so friendly. When I was there last autumn, stepping out of the airport, a woman used her Charlie Card to get me on the subway and rode past her stop to make sure I found the Back Bay station


The Green Dragon Tavern: I love the ambience and the ghosts of the rebel Sons of Liberty plotting their revolution


The Harbour: gorgeous! I mean, one moment you are remembering a ton of darjeeling was tipped over the side, the next you are gazing over at New England lighthouses


The people ( I think I mentioned this )


The Old State House and the Old South Meeting House: just walking Boston gives you a sense that you have peeled back a few hundred years



And SO MANY MORE THINGS


pictures! ( ever so craftily stolen from instagram)








I read great books in Boston

Finally finished Mad Miss Mimic by Sarah Henstra

American Eve: Evelyn Nesbit, Stanford White, the Birth of the 'It' Girl and the Crime of the Century by Paula Uruburu ( note: this non-fiction is UNPUTFRIGGINDOWNABLE )

Popular by Maya van Wagenen 

The Daring Exploits of a Runaway Heiress which was adorable and snarky 


I was at opening night of Newsies on its Boston tour stop and it was my first time seeing the highly anticipated Broadway show ( I have been stoked about it ).  Ironically, I am seeing it opening night here in Toronto.  Lots of Newsies for me!


No comments: